We may earn commission from companies mentioned on this blog, however our praise cannot be bought!
Today finds me still somewhat disorientated after just returning from our holiday in the USA, where we visited New York (VERY cold) and Florida (very warm).
I won’t dwell on the holiday itself, wonderful though it was, as this is a blog about moving to Portugal. Suffice to say we had a great time and created many memories. I have scattered a few photos across this post.
Instead, I’m going to list five reasons why I’m glad to return to Portugal. When we lived in the UK, we used to find the end of a holiday awfully depressing. Now that we genuinely love the place we live, the sadness of the end of a holiday is mixed with genuine joy at being “home” – and that’s definitely a good thing.
So, here are five reasons why I’m happy to be back in Portugal:
1. I NEED fresh food now. We spent ages looking forward to burgers, New York pizza and the International House of Pancakes. Now that I’ve been there and done it, I want fresh fish, food that isn’t fried and, most importantly, I want salad and vegetables.
2. I love having space around me – on the beach, on the pavements and on the roads. The sheer human traffic in both New York and Florida was exhilarating for a while, but I prefer the Algarve’s slow pace.
3. I have my own bath back, with its comfortable slope at the back – and my own toilet, which is always nice.
4. The first thing I see when I’m nearly at my front door on returning from the airport is a bright sea vista, as wide as the eye can see, as I head down from the motorway towards Tavira. When I lived in the UK, the equivalent landmark was Tolworth Tower. There’s a photo here for those without knowledge of South West London:
5. There are loads of things I want to get on with now! As expected, our holiday gave us time to regroup and reprioritize. Now we’ve made those plans I’m keen to get them underway. First, however, we have trips to Ikea and clothes to sort out.
All in all, I feel surprisingly upbeat considering our holiday is over – certainly more than I would be if our final destination yesterday had been London rather than Lisbon. It’s good to be back.
Considering moving abroad? I’d recommend it! Please check out our book:
Readers in the US and Canada will find the book here.