Our little bundle of joy

Posted on May 28, 2014 by Ben Algarve

(Lou) Living in Portugal was our dream for several years before we moved here. We fell in love with the country the first time we visited it and it was on that holiday that as we lazed on the beach, idly watching a man build sand castles with his little daughter, we decided that we didn’t want to bring our children up in London.

The decision was a significant one – we were still years from getting married and having a family, but it signalled the beginning of the end of our love affair with London. From that point forward, the idea of raising our children within walking distance of a sun-kissed seashore was planted firmly in both our minds.

Living in Portugal - sun-kissed sands

Living in Portugal – sun-kissed sands

After several years of planning, saving and working towards our dream, we finally moved to Portugal. The move was over four years ago now and, though at times living here has been stressful (mainly when completing paperwork and dealing with bureaucracy), we have no regrets about leaving the UK far behind.

We have embraced the Portuguese way of life and it has changed us both since we have lived here, though perhaps not in the ways we would have expected before we left England. One constant since our move has been our certainty that Portugal is the place where we want to raise a family. Children are cherished here – a toddler ambling around a restaurant will receive pats on the head from the waiters and smiles from the diners, rather than the annoyed looks that the same scenario would produce in a London eatery.

Living in Portugal - a new arrival

Living in Portugal – a new arrival

We thought for a while that our dream of having a family in Portugal was one that wasn’t going to come true for us. I was actually booked in for an appointment to find out why we were struggling to conceive when we found out that we were expecting. Since then, our life has been a whirlwind of preparation, from spending endless hours waiting for doctors’ appointments, to creating the perfect nursery, to knitting countless tiny jumpers in preparation for the cold winter months.

Two and a half weeks ago, by which time I was the size of a whale, we had lunch with friends at the beautiful and relatively secluded beach of Lota in the eastern Algarve. We visited relatives in the afternoon and then headed home via the supermarket. It turned out to be our last day doing things as a couple, as shortly after we arrived home my body suddenly announced that it was time to head to the hospital.

Living in Portugal - tiny toes

Living in Portugal – tiny toes

Some twelve hours later, our tiny bundle of joy arrived via an emergency Caesarean section, filling us both with a happiness so intense we never knew it was possible.

The last two and a half weeks have been the most wonderful and emotional or our lives. We have been truly touched by the kindness of all those around us, from family and friends to the hospital staff and our next door neighbours. We have been overwhelmed by the amount of new things there are to learn (it turns out that winding a new-born baby who likes to wriggle a lot is harder than it looks in a book). Most of all, we have been amazed that we have managed to produce such a beautiful and perfect little boy, who has filled our hearts with love and our lives with joy.

Welcome to the world Frederico 🙂

Living in Portugal - welcome to the world

Living in Portugal – welcome to the world

If you would like to know more about our adventures while living in Portugal, please feel free to check out our book:

Moving to Portugal: How a young couple started a new life in the sun – and how you could do the same
US Readers will find it here.

21 to “Our little bundle of joy”

1. Bartolomeu says:

Welcome home Frederico!
    Felicidades para toda a família.

2. Sue Knickle says:

Parabéns! Many congratulations! You’re obviously thrilled and I’m so glad that you have a beautiful son and I love the name. I was if the baby had arrived, as our third grandchild – a very cute girl – was born on 23rd May.

3. Sue Knickle says:

(sorry, seem to have missed a word) ..I was wondering..

4. Marion says:

Congratulations to you both on the arrival of Frederico ! I love the photo of his little feet and toes.

Funnily enough, I was lying in bed very early this morning unable to sleep and was thinking, we haven’t heard from you in a while and the baby must have surely come by now.

Thank you for sharing the news. Always enjoyable to see how you both are getting on and particularly hearing about baby Frederico.

Best wishes
    Marion

5. Carlos Duarte says:

Congratulations and all the best to both of you and Fred (as you probably are aware, we do shorten Frederico to Fred 😉 )

6. Ben Algarve says:

Thank you all for the congratulations and best wishes – we are so happy with our little Freddie! And congratulations on the arrival of your third grandchild Sue 🙂

7. CcoR says:

Muitos Parabéns aos Pais. E também muito obrigado por escolherem Portugal para criar a vossa família, o País precisa de gente nova.

Welcome Frederico.

CcoR

8. Aly & Dave says:

many congratulations! and such a lovely name to choose!
    wishing you all health, happiness and lots of sleep 😉

9. Ben Algarve says:

Thanks Aly and Dave,

Sleep is certainly a thing of the past, it seems!

Best wishes, Lou 🙂

10. Ben Algarve says:

Obrigada CCoR,

Somos muito feliz de ter a oportunidade a criar a nossa familia em Portugal 🙂

Cumprimentos,

Lou 🙂

11. silvana says:

I got very emotional reading this I’m so glad you feel this way it was a joy to read can’t wait to see Freddie running around on the beach 🙂 🙂

12. Jane Brewer says:

Congratulation both! Bless his little toes. So pleased for you both.

13. Ben Algarve says:

Thank you – we are so incredibly happy 🙂

14. saz says:

So so happy for you. I was checking your blog every day before I went on to Tavira in late May and got back to work today and lo and behold little Frederico has been born. Happy days to come for you all. I was wondering why it was so windy when we were in Cabanas . . 🙂 Enjoy every moment and many congratulations. Saz x

15. Ben Algarve says:

Our days are happier than we ever could have imagined 🙂 I hope you had a lovely time while you were here.

Lou

16. Anne Meehan says:

Congratulations and welcome to Frederico, a lovely name.
    wishing you all good health happiness and restful nights!

Regards…..Anne

17. Ben Algarve says:

Frederico is a very happy and healthy little boy and is almost sleeping through the night as well, so we feel incredibly lucky!

Best wishes, Lou

18. Bessa says:

Hi! After Reading your “Moving to the UK” post, I’m now living in Edimbrugh, and I would like to thank you again. Also, I would like to congratulate you for the arrival of your new family member.
    Best regards from the “Athens of the North”…

19. Ben Algarve says:

Hi Bessa,

How wonderful, I hope that you are enjoying Edinburgh, and thank you for the congratulations 🙂

Best wishes, Lou

20. Bessa says:

Well, I always loved UK, specially Scotland, so yes, I’m loving it. Besides, it has been a good summer for the scottish standards. We had 2 weeks with max temperatures around 30 and the skies have been quite fair (although the temperature is now back to the 15). I’m starting now to explore a bit further the Lothian, from wich I only knew Edimburgh itself before moving in, although i have to say that I still prefer the Highlands…

21. Ben Algarve says:

It sounds wonderful Bessa, although I think I will stick with the Algarve weather for now 😉